Lawyers of Distinction was first incorporated in 2014. Our sole mission was and has remained to help our Members “Distinguish Themselves” in a very competitive legal landscape.
Lawyers of Distinction is a legal fraternity of lawyers from all 50 United States as well as abroad.
Initially our vision included a legal directory unmatched by any, which would include a full attorney profile and biography which could be searched either by State or area of specialization or both.
This initial vision however was just the beginning. Our benefits have grown and expanded every year since our founding. In 2020 we added unlimited member CLE credits approved in all 50 States.
Additionally, we introduced our first coffee table Member Directory. Other 2020 highlights include surpassing 5,000 Members, being recognized as one of America’s 1,000 fastest growing companies by Inc. 5,000 and surpassing 1 Million website visitors. We aim to be the leader in the legal award recognition space and will continue to innovate and add additional value to our Membership offerings.
Lawyers of Distinction offers lawyers a marketing tool kit to grow their law firm online through various benefits such as a custom plaque, a custom crystal, free CLE courses, a discount club, an online networking group, logo use, social media announcements, an online profile, press releases & more.
The journey to becoming a Lawyer of Distinction is outlined below.
- Lawyers enter the candidate pool either through our Selection Committee or through individual nominations as well as through self-nomination. Lawyers can be nominated year-round.
- Once nominated, L.O.D. employs an objective point system as per our provisional patent # 62/743,254 to identify those lawyers who have demonstrated excellence in the practice of law.
- The patent generates a numerical score based upon 12 separate criteria which are meant to recognize the applicant’s achievements and peer recognition. These include case results, honors/awards, Google reviews, AVVO reviews, years of legal experience, educational background, verdicts and settlements, special certifications, representative clients, professional activities, pro bono and community service, lectures, writings, and publications.
- The next step in the selection process involves a final review to verify attorney licensing as well as a search for any prior ethics infractions or malpractice cases. Those lawyers who have been disciplined within the past 10 years are rejected for Membership.
- Once accepted our Members are provided with a turn-key solution to create an inexpensive and very extensive marketing platform by giving our Members tremendous exposure through several channels.
Lawyers of Distinction also has the most comprehensive Member Directory of any legal organization. Our Directory includes a detailed biographical profile, photograph, and link to the Member’s website. Lawyers can be found on our directory either geographically, by practice area, or directly through the attorney’s name. With continued growth and search engine optimization, our Directory is being utilized by thousands of people every month.
Lawyers of Distinction also publishes new Member announcements in such national publications as The New York Times, USA Today, The American Lawyer and The National Law Journal, as well as many others.
Additionally, all Members are permitted to use our intellectual property including logos on their websites, e-mails, and any other purpose during the course of Membership.
Our Member Discount Club includes significant discounts at national companies including Hertz, Avis, Hilton, Marriott, Disney World as well as many, many others.
Members receive a genuine rosewood custom plaque or genuine crystal statue which makes for fine decorations to display your achievements in either your office or home.
All Members are also provided complimentary brochures for display in your reception area to prospective clients. These brochures are an excellent way to inform your clients of your professional achievements and contain an insert for your personal business card.
We also have both a public and “Private Members Only” Facebook pages which are used to share Member news on accomplishments, announcements, legal news, case referrals, co-counsel relationships, litigation strategies, sharing ideas and expert information, etc.
This is merely a small sample of the benefits and exposure afforded to our Members. Additional Member Benefits can be reviewed by clicking onto our “Benefits” page.
L.O.D. has enjoyed tremendous growth over the past six years with Members from all 50 States as well as internationally in Canada, England, Japan, Germany, and Mexico.
Most recently in August of 2020, Lawyers of Distinction has been being recognized by “INC. 5000” as one of the fastest-growing private companies in America. We are very proud of this accomplishment and look forward to continued aggressive growth.
We currently have had over 1 Million individual visitors to our website from individuals and our Membership roster is more than 5,000 of the finest attorneys in the country. We take tremendous pride and satisfaction in the fact that the vast majority of our Members continue as Members in the years preceding their initial acceptance. L.O.D. is constantly seeking ways to add greater value to our Members at a very affordable price.
We recognize excellence in the practice of law in approximately 30 areas of practice including Antitrust law, Appellate law, Bankruptcy law, Civil Litigation, Constitutional law, Corporate and Transactional Law, Criminal Defense Law, Collections Law, Elder Law, Estate Planning and Trust law, Family and Divorce law, General Practice Law, Health Care Law, Immigration law, In House Counsel, Insurance Law, Intellectual Property law, International law, Labor and Employment law, Maritime law, Medical Malpractice Law, Personal Injury Law, Securities law, Real Estate Law, Probate Law, Social Security Disability law, Sports Law, Tax Law, Wills and Trust Law, Workers Compensation Law and others.
Lawyers of Distinction has no political affiliations and no plaintiff or defense bias.